11/4/10

Upper Wards

New Orleans is divided into wards or voting districts. The pictures in the previous post were taken in the lower wards where the recovery process from Katrina is slow and depressing. Most of the following pictures were taken in the upper wards. The restoration and repopulation of these areas are at 90%+ pre-Katrina.
The houses in the pictures are of "famous people", but for the life of me, I don't know what house belongs to which person. The bus driver would say, "There is a home that belongs to _____ coming up on the right. Get your cameras ready for a perfect photographic opportunity." So being the all out tourist that I was, I did what he said. Some of the celebrities that own homes in New Orleans are Sandra Bollock, Pete Manning, Nicholas Cage, Anne Rice, Fats Domino, and of course Brad Pitt.
The best homes of the celebrities were the ones I couldn't get a picture of because they were on the LEFT side of the bus. Brad Pitt owns a pink home one block off of Decater St. I got the adress so I could return later. I don't think the bus driver was too hip on Angelia Jolie according to his comments. I got the address so I could return later. My plan was to tell Brad I was the cleaning service, or better yet, a masseuse.
Anne Rice's home fit her personality the best. It had old twisting oak trees with Spanish moss hanging everywhere. There were vines woven through the wrought iron balconies. Fats Domino's home was in an area that had been badly damage by the storm. It was small and flashy - painted yellow and black with large initials "FD" on the side of the house. He decided not to evacuate during the storm because of his wifes bad health, so he was rescued by helicoper after the storm did its damage.












CALLIER - famous New Orleans architect's tomb
I don't really know who he is - but maybe Jacob does.



































No comments:

Post a Comment